The Foreigner woman in Bible versus Quran (13)
This is the thirteenth article of the series: “The Foreigner woman in Bible versus Quran”
In the previous articles, we have seen that from the Language point of view, the “foreign” woman is the alien or the exotic or the outsider woman. However, the Bible has another notion. As confirmed by the Bible, the “foreign” woman is the non-Israelite woman or the non-Jewish woman.
As a result, any non-Israelite or any non-Jewish woman is a “foreign” woman.
This indicates that the women in the Bible are but one of two categories; they are either Legitimate (genuine) or Foreign (strange).
In the present article, we will analyze and discuss the translation of one verse that talks about both the “the foreign woman” and the “strange women” in 18 different versions of the Bible. Although this issue needs some persistence and alertness; however, it deserves studying to prove how incorrectly the translators of some Biblical versions did their Job in reference to the original Hebrew Scripture.
Very simply, the verse, Proverbs 2:16, says:
“It will save you from the foreign woman, from the stranger who flatters with her words”
This is the straightforward translation of the original Hebrew verse that mentions both “the foreign woman” and the “stranger who flatters with her words”.
Herein, we will talk about the translation of the above simple verse.
This verse is composed of two parts: “It will save you from the foreign woman, + from the stranger who flatters with her words”
Now, let us see how do 18 Biblical versions translate these two parts of the above verse?
(1) How do 18 Biblical versions translate foreign woman?
Foreign woman is translated to
Strange woman in six versions
Alien woman in one version
Adulteress (adulterous woman who commits adultery) in four versions
Immoral woman in two versions
Forbidden woman in two versions
Temptress in one version
Sinful woman in one version
Unfaithful wife in one version
(2) How do 18 Biblical versions translate the stranger who flatters with her words?
The stranger, who flatters with her words in six versions,
The outsider with her flattering words in one version,
The wayward wife (woman) with her seductive words in three versions,
The adulteress who flatters with her words in one version;
The adulteress with her smooth words in one version,
The unfaithful wife who tries to lead you into adultery with pleasing words in one version.
The Temptress— that smooth-talking Seductress Who’s faithless to the husband she married years ago in one version,
The smooth talk of a sinful woman in one version,
A sinful wife and her tempting words in one version.
The seductress who flatters with her words in one version,
The seductive words of the promiscuous woman in one version.
About the Biblical Translation of “Foreign woman”
1) Adultery is violation of the marriage bed; it is the voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than his or her lawful spouse.
However, New International Version and New American Standard Bible translate “foreign woman” to “adulteress” while New International Reader’s Version translates it to “woman who commits adultery” and Today’s New International Version translates it to adulterous woman.
2) The Immoral person is the bad, wicked, dissolute, dissipated, profligate one who acts contrary to or does not obey or conform to standards of morality and social ethics. However, New King James Version and New Living Translation translate “foreign woman” to “immoral woman”.
3) The Forbidden thing is the thing that is banned, not allowed; outlawed, prohibited, not approved, not authorized and/or not permitted. Examples are the forbidden food in religion, the forbidden smoking, the Forbidden books and the forbidden transition in Physics. However, English Standard Version and Holman Christian Standard Bible translate “foreign woman” to “Forbidden woman”.
4) The Temptress is the alluring woman, bewitching woman, the dangerously seductive woman, the enticing woman and/or the woman who tempts. However, the Biblical Version, the Message translates the “foreign woman” to The Temptress.
5) Unfaithful means cheating, deceitful, double-crossing, faithless, false, false-hearted, fickle, foresworn, inconstant, incontinent, moonlighting, not true to, of bad faith, perfidious, philandering, recreant, shifty, snaky, sneaking, traitorous, treacherous, treasonable, two-faced, two-timing, unchaste, unreliable, untrue, untrustworthy, wicked. However, New Century Version translates the “foreign woman” to the “unfaithful wife.”
1) The 18 Biblical versions studied could not translate 11 simple Hebrew words correctly.
2) 12 Biblical versions translate “foreign” woman to adulterous woman, immoral woman, Forbidden woman, sinful woman, Temptress and unfaithful wife.
Herein, we have two questions for the translators of the Bible:
Are the “foreign” non-Jewish women adulterous, immoral, Forbidden woman, sinful, Temptress and unfaithful.
Are not your translations hurts the non-Jewish women?
3) It should be emphasized that I did not make any comment(s) on the different “wrong” translations of the stranger who flatters with her words; I think that the example of the varied translations of the Foreign woman is just sufficient to make the smart reader aware about the fact that the Bible translators are but wrong.
About this issue in the Quran:
In the entire Quran, the term “foreign woman” and/or “strange woman” is not mentioned therein; all women are equal in respect to their rights and responsibilities regardless of race, color, location etc.
The verse Proverbs 2:16 in 18 different versions of the Bible
New International Version (NIV) it will save you also from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words,
New American Standard Bible (NASB) to deliver you from the strange woman, From the adulteress who flatters with her words;
The Message (MSG) Wise friends will rescue you from the Temptress— that smooth-talking Seductress Who’s faithless to the husband she married years ago,
Amplified Bible (AMP) [Discretion shall watch over you, understanding shall keep you] to deliver you from the alien woman, from the outsider with her flattering words,
New Living Translation (NLT) Wisdom will save you from the immoral woman, from the seductive words of the promiscuous woman.
King James Version (KJV) To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;
English Standard Version (ESV) so you will be delivered from the forbidden woman, from the adulteress with her smooth words,
Contemporary English Version (CEV) Wisdom will protect you from the smooth talk of a sinful woman,
New King James Version (NKJV) To deliver you from the immoral woman, From the seductress who flatters with her words,
New Century Version (NCV) It will save you from the unfaithful wife who tries to lead you into adultery with pleasing words.
21st Century King James Version (KJ21) Wisdom will deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger, who flattereth with her words,
American Standard Version (ASV) to deliver thee from the strange woman, Even from the foreigner that flattereth with her words;
Young’s Literal Translation (YLT) to deliver thee from the strange woman, From the stranger who hath made smooth her sayings,
Darby Translation (DARBY) to deliver thee from the strange woman, from the stranger who flattereth with her words;
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) It will rescue you from a forbidden woman, from a stranger with her flattering talk,
New International Reader’s Version (NIRV) Wisdom will save you from a woman who commits adultery. It will save you from a sinful wife and her tempting words.
New International Version – UK (NIVUK) It will save you also from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words,
Today’s New International Version (TNIV) Wisdom will save you also from the adulterous woman, from the wayward woman with her seductive words,
Professor Dr. Ibrahim Khalil, Prof. of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, Head (ex-) of Clinical Microbiology and Infection Control Unit, Ain-Shams University. Cairo, Egypt President of the Egyptian Society of Inventors, Honorary President of SPIC-Egypt (The Society of Practitioners of Infection Control – Egypt), Co-Chief Editor of the Egyptian Journal of Lab. Medicine Member of the Egyptian union of Writers, Published 5 Books and some 60 Medical Articles, Supervisors for 79 PhD theses and111 Master Degree theses.
Article from articlesbase.com